Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Grandfathers Little Rock House

Adam Spach's Rock House
It is with great pride that I view a few photos and read about my 6th Great Grandfathers “Rock House”. How many of us are allowed to actually see the home their 6th Great Grandfather's family occupied 236 years ago. Actually, considering his extensive offspring, a great many! I understand there have been numerous efforts, over the years, to protect its site and thoughts of rebuilding the house. In 1917 relative H.W. Foltz proposed that the Wachovia Historical Society restore the Adam Spach Rock House on the site located in Northern Davidson County. Those confusing efforts are recorded in the records of the Wachovia Historical Society. The site is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places as of June 14, 2002.

Grave Marker at Friedberg Moravian Church
Great Grandfather Adam Spach (some now spell it Spaugh) was one of the first settlers to settle outside of the original Wachovia tract of the Moravians in 1754, 10 miles south of where the Moravians were then building Bethabara. Grandfather settled near what is now the Davidson side of the north line of Davidson County south of what would later be our Salem. Grandfather invited the Moravians to preach at his home which lead to the organization of the Friedberg congregation of the Moravian Church. His family took refuge in the Bethabara stockade during the Indian War of 1759 along with many other local settlers. In 1774 grandfather constructed a substantial rock house about one mile from Friedberg Church. The house was one story 30 by 36 feet over a full basement with a small attic. It was built of uncut stone without mortar, except for inside plastering. The house was built over a spring of water with a basement entrance for protection of livestock in case of attack. There were loopholes through which defenders could fire their weapons. In the 20th Century the house fell to ruin. Adam Spach's Granddaughter Christina Kastner will marry Joseph Kerner. Does the name Kernersville sound familiar to you?

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I am a descendant of Adam Spach my Great grandfathers name is Adam Spaugh. We still have the descendant book from the early 1920's with many generations though its not up to date any tips for how to up date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a very thick (inches) book on the Spaugh family which I have a copy of but isn't convenient to access right now. I don't have a clue how you get a copy or if they are even available. I would wager there is one at the Forsyth County NC library in Winston-Salem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a descendant of Adam Spach his family married into Romingers. My mothers grandmother was Laura Rominger and she married a Leonard which is my mothers surname Leonard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a descendant of Adam Spach & would love to learn more about our history. I live in Ft. Worth Texas & my Parents live in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a descendant of Adam Spach & would love to learn more about our history. I live in Ft. Worth Texas. Would also love to meet other descendants as well. I'm an over the road truck driver & can get loads anywhere to visit. This is exciting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a descendant of Adam Spach and interested in updating the family tree. I am also in possession of one of the books from 1920.

    ReplyDelete

Love to have your comments here.

Because of the nature of this blog, all comments are moderated and will not appear until they are reviewed. All comments will be approved unless they are found to be blatantly inappropriate, vulgar, and abusive or attempt to reveal the identity of anyone involved with this blog. NO comment with a commercial link will be accepted!